Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Copper Wire Twisted Cone Jewelry

I have made these jewelry using copper wire. For the rope I have used viking knit techniqe. Pendant is simple wire wrap with a little twist.

I get copper wire with insulation. I want to remove it, but so far, haven't found a simple trick. I burn the wire on fire (gas stove) it eats away the copper coated insulation but leaves black shoot. Then I have to immerse it in vinegar. It cleans some shoot but my wire still needs cleaning. Then I have to scrub it with steel wool wire. Its a little bit easy to scrub thick wire. But my thin wire (26 gauge wire) becomes weak after burning process. And it becomes difficult to scrub.

I found a tip which says to mix caustic soda some salt into the water and then heat it. Then dip the wire into it. Its will remove copper insulation. But I don't know something is going wrong and my wire insulation isn't going.

Please if someone knows a simple method to remove the insulation, then please share that tip with me.







5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was looking around for how to remove insulation from copper wire (or is it the other way around?) I found a lot of videos on YouTube about it. It seems like there would be an easier solution that would not be very expensive. Your jewelry is just about the prettiest I have ever seen. It's worth an investment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I slice it with an exacto knife and cut off the insulation. Time consuming and make sure to wear gloves or your fingers will get sliced. Also works on the thin wire as this is usually a bundle of wires with insulation around the outside. Luckily the last few bundles of copper wire from my son who is an electrician was already stripped.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete